Wednesday, June 4

My creative need - Part 2 Felting

It was four years ago in Nimbin that I discovered felting. In the groovy gallery I brought a felted scarf that I fell in love with. I decided that this was going to be my new career (it was at the stage in my life where I was thinking of what I was going to do after admitting to myself that chances are my German will not be good enough to work as a social worker. Nor did I know if I wanted to. The question, what will I do next?). For the next few months while I was still in Australia, I collected various wools to felt with. I have white and black alpaca wool which I brought in the Salamanda Markets in Hobart. I have some lovely cinnamon coloured wool from the wool shop in Oberon. A devine reddish colour I brought from a farm near Chiltern. I brought books from Weavers and Dying groups. I picked up other books in op shops. I brought it all back with me and put it in a drawer waiting for the perfect moment to try it. I was scared. It was something new and I didn´t know exactly what I was meant to do, let alone finding the time in between looking after the family.

But my girls going away was the impetus to try it for the first time. I collected all my equipment, laid it out and decided on a pattern to Nano felt (felting onto silk). And I did it. I actually felted. And it is so much easier than I thought it would be. Here is my result.......... (a birthday present for my husband) It´s not perfect. But I made it with pride. I don´t know if I have a career as a feltist, but I will definitely be doing it again. My girls want a pink and yellow and blue one for their walls.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Nice one! St Kilda colors (Blah) but it looks great!He he he! Nano scares me at the moment so I'm waiting to do the seamless bag next week then maybe attepmt the nano. But what to make? Hmmmm.....I'm not a fan of the scarves. Maybe a wall hanging too! What else could you use it for? I'm still wondering on colors for the bag. So many choices. You have certainly travelled the country too. I love Nimbin but have only ever gone there twice and both at Mardi Grass time. I must of been the only straight adult there both times but had an absolute blast. Would love to move up that way- more Ballina or Mullimbimby way though.

Melody said...

Nice one.