Saturday, June 7

I´m off for a break - back end July

My daughter wrote on my mother´s day card that my favorite thing is sitting at the computer. It´s not. But with my studies I required a computer. We put it in the kitchen to save on heating costs and make it more accessible. As a result, I find it so cosy to log on at breakfast to read the news, lunch to see who wrote to me, dinner to pay the bills........ The last few weeks my mind has been filled with impossible assignments (gone are my dreams of a 90% average) and next week is my last exam for this semester. But then I have decided to take a break from the computer and give myself back to my girls. Looking at them instead of just talking to them while I am reading something. Go into their cubbyhouses instead of turning around and telling them how lovely it is. To help them make their puzzles rather than telling them to sit next to me and make it themselves. To read to them instead of telling them to read and make up stories with each other. All those things I used to do with my Sweetheart. I feel so guilty that I have so much less time for Herzie. Not just becaúse I now have 2 children so washing and cleaning has increased, but also now I am working (4 hours a week) and studying that I am not available so much, not just physically but often my head is gone. I justify it by saying that Herzie has all the benefit of the time I spent with Sweetheart when they play together. I try to restrict my study to nighttime when the girls are in bed. But it is the bad habits that have arisen that make me feel guilty. Like this blog, for example. Even though it is of benefit to me, it doesn´t do much for them other than having me whinge less with their father about things that frustrate me. So, I´m going to take a break and spend more time with my girls until Uni starts again (end July). No more news, no more blogs, no more catching up with friends. Nothing. But I will come back with all the stories that have accumulated in my head since then.......

4 comments:

Julie said...

I can totally relate to this post...My computer has been down for the last few days and it's amazing what can be done (especialy with the kids) when the computer is not switched on! Hurry back though as I am going to miss your blog.

Love your amazing felting work by the way, really impressive. Looking forward to seeing more..... I did comment to you on my blog, just to say that I will have a post on needle felting 'soon', hopefully by the time you return.

Anyway enjoy this time with your girls and I look forward to reading all about it in the near future..X

LBA said...

oh - and I only just discovered you !

That said, I totally understand where you're coming from - computers can be such time-sappers, can't they ? And I think that Mother's Day card was probably a shock to read !!

xx
:)

Melody said...

Is it the end of July yet?

Kris said...

I think it's important to step away. I've been thinking about this recently, and trying to look at life as I live it, not as I might write about it.

But when you are back - and please do come back - would you do a little meme I've tagged you for? It's on my site, posted on this date.

Enjoy your girls and your life.