Saturday, July 12

My Creative Need - Part 3 Felting

I know I said end July, but I can´t wait. I am so excited. I have been felting. On a rainy day when the girls were at their grandmothers I gave it another go. I felted with a mixed medium of carded wool, spun wool, and material from an old dress which I would only have dreams of fitting into. It was an old shot taffeta dress I brought once from Balmain markets (way before having children). I don´t think my photo does justice to the work itself. I then had dreams of maybe being a textile artist and opening my own studio and selling my art at exorbinant prices which will allow me to live in splendid wealth and only having to do what I wanted (I know, overactive imagination). Maybe not, but a new hobby.

I have started doing the next felted piece. I had an old handbag with a basket at the bottom and a delicate blue fabulous design with shapes and flowers. I started felting, learning along the way that wool doesn´t felt to artificial material very well (so had to sew this onto to the felted frame). I have this vintage lace dress (the one I used to wear with Docs to my accounting lectures which lead me to realise that I will not fit into the 3 peice suit culture). I dyed it a purplish colour a few years ago. I will sacrifice this for my art. I love this concept of recycling all my favorite outfits with love after having worn them with joy for so long. There is also the pleasure of having a medium which is cost effective and doesn´t require huge outlays. My artwork is something I would admire if someone else had made it, but I live with the satisfaction of knowing I had made it myself (it doesn´t happen very often).

No comments: