Sunday, July 20

Cultural Differences - Part 1

When I first came to Austria:

-Pumpkin and corn were for feeding the pigs with, not for eating (now can be brought in supermarkets).

-Potato can never be eaten with the skin on. It has to be peeled. Peelings are for the pigs (still the same).

-Vegetarian means taking out the meat in a meal. If you are in a restaurant, vegetarian options are frozen veges with a fried egg on top, or baked cambemert (frozen from the supermarket) (now a few more options, but not many more. This is a meat country).

-Instant coffee is only for putting in cakes. Thank god, as even the coffee machines on the station have freshly ground coffee in them.

-Tea means herbal. No Liptons here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to send you some Liptons tea, any time. Just don't feed them to the pigs ;). I am glad I am not a complete vegetarian then, I would starve! I love your posts about the country and regional differences, always make me smile.

Melody said...

Oh herbal... *Melody screws up her nose*

Cut&Alter said...

Isn't it funny when you live in a different country?! When we moved to NZ from UK it didn't seem such a big deal - drive on the left, speak english etc, but it's only once you've been there a while that you become aware of their customs, culture and pysche - very different from Brits!