Wednesday, September 17

It´s bloody Freezing

In Australia, I don´t think I thought about the seasons too much. Oh, except for when I lived in Melbourne where you needed to take a t-shirt, jumper and umbrella every day. Or when I lived in Canberra as winter meant that you smoked less as it was too cold to go outside. Or in The Mountains where you would notice ice puddles right in the middle of winter. OK maybe I did. But I can remember that I didn´t even have a winter jacket most of the time. Autumn was just the time when you watch the leaves change colour. When the nights were finally cooler. When it starts to get darker a bit earlier. But nothing spectacular. I don´t think I noticed too much when I had to start wearing winter clothes. Life didn't change much between the seasons.

Not here. Last week it was 27 degrees and we were wearing t-shirts but the last few days I have been lighting a fire all day. It seems that overnight the weather has changed. Summer is over. On my bike ride I can feel the penetrating forbodingness of ice particles creeping into my bottom and ears. The leaves on the pumpkin plants are dying. I need to prepare my garden for the freeze. Harvest time has arrived. The trees are already started looking bare and the air is filled with the woody smoke of leaves being burnt (yes, we aren´t all environmentalists here). Thoughts of hot chocolate and christmas markets fill my mind and tickle my toungue. All warm and cosy.

3 comments:

mimbles said...

I note the change of seasons here in Sydney, each year I dread the coming months of heat and humidity :(

I do know what you mean though, we just don't get the extremes of cold weather and you can go through a whole winter without ever needing to put a hat or gloves on. I spent 3 winters in Boulder, Colorado when I was growing up (when I was 8, 10 and 14), being able to toboggan in your front yard is a proper winter!

Are you into sci-fi and fantasy? 'Cause that's the stuff I'd be recommending as reading suggestions, I don't read all that much that's not SF&F.

? said...

I love great weather. Poor you but its amazing how we all live on the same planet and experience the differences. Have you heard of the parable of the elephant and the 7 blind men? Ill visit again.

? said...

Your blog is so emotional and quite personal. On just reading your profile and the question did you make the right choice? That question took my mind to the book I just read about a dying man. At the time he was dying the thought came to his mind that everything he had lived by was a lie, a deception that hides life from death away from one. At that moment, he was wondering what the right thing was since he felt his life had not been what it should have been. He even started hating his wife on his death bed as though he made a mistake. To be honest, I dont think there is any right choice. I believe in destiny however that whatever will be will be. Since you are very happy, I think your destiny is a great one. Have you ever been to St Ives? Just wondering how it became your favourite place, ever visited? I love it too, in fact I love cornwall. I also love devon especially the English riviera of Torquay, Paignton, Brixham...so beautiful and the weather is great just as great as cornwall. Glad I discovered your blog. Now get yourself warm and Ill visit again, if you don't mind?