Saturday, September 13

Who would have thought?

I have been suffering this week from the most excruciating headaches. They have been all encompassing in that my life outside of the headache barely functions. I have a tiredness that I can´t shake from the moment I wake up until I go to bed at night. It is just like when I was pregnant. I needed to have naps each day. My head would fall onto the table while trying to read my lecture notes. I had a knawing pain in my stomach that just sat there like a stone. I was grumpy and cross and very difficult to be around.

I didn´t understand it. I had thoughts of cancer and other life threatening illnesses. For someone who is rarely sick (when do I get the time!!!!!!) I find it very difficult when I am. I think the worst and suffer intollerably. But I don´t have time to go to the doctor until Wednesday next week, so battle on and swallow pain killers.

It was when I was filling the coffee grinder that I noticed the possible cause of my misery. We have been drinking caffein free coffee. I have been sufferring from withdrawal symptons. My most awful suffering has been self inflicted. I have been pouring caffein down my throat since. The headaches have gone away, but 2 days later my belly is still not the same and now I suffer from lack of sleep. I can honestly and assuredly say that I am an addict, and it is not something I am going to give up.

6 comments:

Ariane said...

At the end of my honours year, it took me 2 weeks to detox from coffee. Exactly the same symptoms as you, only I had just finished honours, so I had no other commitments, I just mostly slept through it.

All I can say is that it isn't a "once an addict, always an addict" drug. I can now safely drink smaller quantities without catastrophic effects. Of course, I also got pregnant and was never again able to drink coffee after midday and still sleep at night.

mimbles said...

I get the coffee withdrawal headache from hell should I be foolish enough to follow up several days of 2 or more coffees a day by forgetting to have one for 36 hours or more. I then have to choose between hitting the coffee hard and enduring a day of headache or putting up with 2-3 days of headache and being able to go back to my more usual routine of several cups of tea a day and the occasional coffee.

Strangely I prefer my coffee in the afternoon or at night and it doesn't seem to affect my sleep. In the mornings all I want is tea.

Alice said...

Found you on blogspot! :)

Sorry to hear about the headaches. Are you weather-sensitive? I am, most definitely, and I haven't been feeling my best, either, this week, with those radical weather changes from super hot to super cold within a day, ugh.

I'll email you soon re: Mollys b-day etc...

If you're interested in checking out my blog I'll send you an invite (it is only open to "special" readers).

:)

Melody said...

I have never had coffee (*I know*) but was a regular drinker of Coke. A can every day or so. When recently in hospital for 5 days I had no Coke - suffered a headache the first day and then fine. Since then I have shared only 1 can with hubby and didn't really enjoy it. I am actually pretty proud of myself. Yippee...

The Three Little Bears said...

I suffer the same when I stop drinking coffee: horrible headaches as though I might be having an anerysm or such. I've decided to stop drinking while trying to get pregnant and it was HARD to do! I love love love coffee. I cheat a lot by buying coffee-flavored icecream or drinking tea.

Anonymous said...

i can honestly say quitting caffeine was worse than quitting smoking.
first the headaches, then the 2 days of solid sleep.
then being a bastard for a week.
it took 2 full weeks to shake it fully.

i now have about one full strength a week and have found some very excellent Australian decaf (toby's estate) and we grind the beans ourself to get the whole smell/taste experience.