Friday, May 9

My Mud Princesses

My girls wear pink. They wear skirts or dresses. They wear glitter, flowers, butterflies. That´s all. Nothing in which they don´t feel like Princesses. A Princess is magical. A Princess is lovely. A princess has a fairy wand and can do everything in the world she wants. As long she is in Pink.

I don´t understand this fascination my girls have with clothes. I don´t know where it comes from. I have a practical wardrobe. My clothes now consist of jeans and t-shirts that don´t show the dirt and are easy to wash. I have a jacket for winter, one for spring. I have a dress to go out with. Shoes for working and shoes to go out with. My girls have outfits. Each piece matches. They have matching accessories. They won´t leave the house unless it all matches (this include my 2 year old telling me that her stockings are the wrong colour. But then one of her first words was 'glitter'). When they are not dressing themselves in outfits they play dress up and smother themselves with necklaces, bangles, makeup, fairy and princess dresses.

I know what you are thinking, that it is my own fault for buying it for them in the first place. But I didn´t. These are all gifts from my mother. Another who has little fascination in clothes. Maybe it is a cross generational thing. Maybe it floats in the air and they inhaled it from someone else. Maybe it was a special treat from Santa Claus that he slipped in the parcels. All I know, is that as long as it is pink and glitters, my girls will love it.

The irony of all this is that my girls are the wildest in the neighbourhood. They are at the top of trees with the bigger boys. They can out wrestle everyone they know by jumping on top of them. They are queens of mud pies. If there is dirt, they will find it. They are naturally drawn to anything dangerous and naughty. They have no fear and try anything. All the while dressed in their matching outfits - all pink and glittery.

No comments: